Thursday, March 1, 2012

Studio 5 - Grandma's 80th Birthday


What a fun couple of weeks preparing for this Studio 5 segment. There are lots of fun details in case you didn't catch them.


When deciding to plan this segment I thought of my grandmother, Nana (now passed on) and what she would have loved if we were celebrating this party for her. She was a very talented woman ... loved cooking, sewing, and flowers. She even had pink & turquoise bathrooms! (no joke ... the porcelain bathtubs were pink and turquoise! It was awesome!!)


The decorations were one of my favorite parts. Pioneer Party  provided all the balloons and did an amazing job! I will be sure to post more about my decorations this weekend ... but while you wait ...


Get a 20% discount on your next balloon bouquet, be sure to visit their store and let them know you saw their balloons on Studio 5. If they give you any problems, tell them Emily sent ya! Offer expires March 9, 2012!!!


If you have followed me for a while, you would know that I am not too into vintage ... I like more of a graphic style ... but for this segment I had to include a little!!


Nana loved flowers ... So in her honor we had fresh white mums! (if you are looking for some, I went to 3 places to find them and found them at Smiths Marketplace in Lehi!!)


The white doilie tins, IKEA for $2.99 ... and I printed those labels and simply stuck them on with double sided tape! 


Vintage "Printable" Fruit label
Click here for the free printable label link!


Nana loved to cook ... and was amazing at it!


For a party favor ... I figured that nana had everything she would have ever wanted or needed at 80. So I thought it would be fun to create a cookbook using all her recipes ... then also have those recipes as the food for the party! (Brilliant I know! lol)


I created the darling recipe book from the Paper Coterie
The were so generous to offer all my blog readers
A FREE BOOK or $30 credit to make anything on their website!
Awesome huh! 


The code is MANDY2012


It truly is free but they have a few rules


  • $30 credit
  • No minimum order
  • Standard shipping rates apply
  • Valid until 3/18/2012, midnight mst.
  • Applies to every product excluding gift cards

Not only is that book super cute, but the little baking case that it is in went perfectly with my decor! It was provided by www.shopsweetlulu.com



They are also offering a discount to my blog readers. Be sure to visit their website before March 3rd for a 10% off discount!


The code is CHANGE

The products from shop sweet lulu from this segment were:


  • Straws
  • Plates
  • Cups for the lights
FOOD!!!




Here are the recipes I included in my book, and on the segment today ...


Almond Butter Cookies


1 cup butter softened (not melted)
1 cup margarine softened
1 1/2 tsp. Almond Extract ( you can add vanilla if you prefer or I add a little less Almond Extract)
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
4-5 cups flour
Cream butter and margarine very well. Slowly add sugar, beating until mixture is fluffy.  Blend in Almond Extract.  Add flour and salt and mix thoroughly.  (You can chill the dough but I find it works better not to chill and go ahead and bake.)  Form dough into 1 inch balls and roll in sugar.  Place on ungreased cookie sheet and stamp with cookie stamp.  Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.  Makes about 6 dozen cookies.

This is a double recipe. You can cut it in half if you want. It will still work if you want to double it again, but you will need a big bowl!  



COOKIE PRESS


To make the flowers, I used this awesome cookie press from Stampin up! This recipe is the best for these stamps. Be sure to click here for preferred pricing to get yours!


Strawberry Shortcake Shooters
















Store Purchased Angel Food Cake

Whipping Cream (the real stuff)

Strawberries


The little shooter glasses I found at Party Land in Lehi. I have also seen them at Zuchers in Orem.


Pretty self explanatory. I found lids from my sprinkles to make circles of Angel Food Cake. Then sliced the strawberries. Layered them so it looked beautiful and topped with whipping cream.


** NOTE ** Be sure to used REAL whipping cream and not the canned stuff. I used that for my segment last time and before I could even get them on camera, they were melting. Whipping Cream tastes better and is the best route!




Mini Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
(inspired by Zupas Ultimate Grilled Cheese)



Baguette Bread

Muenster Cheese

Sharp Cheddar Cheese

Pesto (I use Classico Brand)

Garlic Butter Spread

Spread garlic butter on outside, pesto on the inside. Place cheese in-between bread slices and place on medium heat griddle. Putting a pan lid over will help the cheese to melt faster!


Tortallini Pasta Salad Kabobs
1 to 2 packages of baby spinach
1 c craisins (or grapes)
1 c parmesan cheese (shredded) - or any white cheese
¼ c red onion chopped
1 package of 20oz Cheese Tortellini, (Cooked, drained, rinsed, & chilled)
½ c of honey roasted almonds

Dressing:
1 c veggie oil
¾ c sugar
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
½ c red wine vinegar
2 tsp minced garlic
½ tsp paprika
Put in blender & blend for 1 minute. Put on right before you serve or to the side

Skewers
I chose grapes rather than the craisins, and didn't use the honey roasted almonds. For the cheese I decided to use Monterey Jack. The parmesan wouldn't work on the skewer

Poppy Seed Bundt Cake** Warning ... this recipe will change your life!













1 pkg. yellow cake mix
1 small pkg vanilla or french vanilla (must be instant) pudding
4 eggs
1/2 c. water
1 c. sour cream
1/2 c. 
cooking oil
1 tsp butter flavoring or almond extract
1/4 c. poppy seeds

Stir for 5 minutes (I use an electric mixer). Grease and sugar (or flour) a bundt pan. Cook at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Opt: sift powdered sugar on the top after cooled. Serves 12-16



Bundt Pan
Amazon

Key Lime Tarts
1 cup plus 2 TBSP butter (cold)
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 heaping tsp whipping cream or sweetened condensed milk
3 cups plus 3 TBSP flour
1 tsp almond extract

Cut butter into sugar (I like using a food processor). Add remaining ingredients. You will need to press dough together to form balls. 

Spray molds with pam. Taks small amount of dough and press into small pie molds. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes. Makes around 50 tart shells.

Key Lime and Lemon filling
1 8 oz package cream cheese
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup fresh lime or lemon (I prefer Meyer lemons ... mix between a clementine & lemon!!)
Drop or two of food coloring

Soften Cream cheese and blend until smooth. Slowly add milk beating constantly and scraping bol until all lumps are gone and mixture is very smooth. Add vanilla and juice. Beat until light and fluffy. Pour into prepared (cooled) tart shells

For more information regarding Decorations on my segment ... be sure to check back this weekend!


4 comments:

Posh Ideas said...

I just watched your segment. Great job I love all the variations in food, and the cute colors! Thanks for all your fun ideas!

Heather said...

Watching this made me wish we'd gotten together for dinner with our kids yesterday. I was swamped, but you were double that staying up so late to finish!

Love the pan--is that the one you were needing?

Douglass Family said...

Yep! That was my pan. Now that life is much more calm, we need to get together!!

cody said...

stunning!!! Your colors are so bold and bright! This cake looks amazing! recette omelette aux truffes